Journey through the evolution of fish, from the first vertebrate to the fish species that would eventually evolve to crawl onto land.
- The first fish was called Haikouichthys, and it evolved in the ocean 550 million years ago.
- The first fish was also the first vertebrate, and therefore the ancestor of all other vertebrates to come.
- Over millions of years, fish evolved tails and paired fins.
- Jawed fish diverged into two groups: cartilaginous fish and bony fish.
- In the following millions of years, the backbone evolved into a tail and eventually paired fins.
- It would be another 100 million years before the jaw would develop - modern-day lampreys and hagfish are relics of this primitive species.
- The jaw-boned species then diverged into bony fish and cartilaginous fish.